Daytime Divas The Complete First Season ~ (2017) ~ Vanessa Williams, Chloe Bridges, Tichina Arnold, Norm Lewis, Tammy Blanchard
What’s This TV Show About?
A satirical VH1 dramedy, Daytime Divas is based on the Star Jones novel, Satan’s Sisters . The story centers on the backstage drama between the cast of The Lunch Hour, a daytime talk show. Each weekday at noon, Maxine (Williams), Mo (Arnold), Heather (Gubelmann), Kibby (Bridges), and Nina (Guaty) talk about politics, entertainment, lifestyle topics, and gossip like true friends. The real action, though, happens off the air and features the hosts’ secret affairs, power struggles, schemes, and tantrums.
- Vanessa Williams as Maxine Robinson, the creator and lead host of the daytime television show The Lunch Hour. She is one of the greatest personalities on American television and mother of Shawn
- Chloe Bridges as Kibby Ainsley, a former child star and recovering addict who is one of the co-hosts
- Camille Guaty as Nina Sandoval, a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist and one of the co-hosts
- Fiona Gubelmann as Heather Flynn-Kellogg, an outspoken conservative and one of the co-host]
- McKinley Freeman as Shawn Robinson, the producer of The Lunch Hour and Maxine's son
- Tichina Arnold (credited as a "special guest star") as Mo Evans, an eccentric comedienne and one of the show's co-hosts
- Norm Lewis as William Tomas, the doorman at Maxine's co-op building, who knows some of her darkest secrets
- Tammy Blanchard as Sheree Ainsley, Kibby's scheming mother
- Niko Pepaj as Leon, an ambitious head production assistant
- Sarah Mack as Ramona Davies, a production assistant
- Rich McDonald as Brad Kellogg, Heather's husband and a race car driver
- Adam J. Harrington as Jason Abel, a network president
- Kristen Johnston as Anna Crouse, Maxine's former assistant and current editor-in-chief of a great magazine, who wants to expose the truth about the behind the scenes of The Lunch Hour
- Ness Bautista as Andrew Weller, Nina's husband and a rising politician
- Scott Evans as Julian, a celebrity sober coach who helps Kibby keep her life on track
- Tamera Mowry as herself
- Kelly Osbourne as herself
- Tasha Smith as Portia Camden, a popular lifestyle guru and the ladies' counselor who is brought on to guest host
- Debby Ryan as Maddie Finn, Kibby's rival and former Lacey from Outter Spacey co-star, who wants to ruin Kibby's life
- La La Anthony as Isabel Carlisle, a crisis management expert hired by Maxine to help handle a situation in behind the scenes
- Joy Behar as herself
- Sunny Hostin as herself
- Jedediah Bila as herself
- Sara Haines as herself[
- Eve as Cecile James, a bestselling author of books about alpha women who guest hosts, and who initially wants to become a permanent co-host
- Richard T. Jones as Ben Branson, a charismatic real-estate mogul who is set up on a blind date with Maxine
- Patti LaBelle as Gloria Tomas, the mother of William, who also has secrets
- Janet Mock as herself, who becomes a guest host on the show
- Jillian Rose Reed as Kali T, a millennial YouTuber brought on as a guest host
- Rob Estes as Vance Gordon, an actor and Kibby's former Lacey from Outter Spacey co-star
- Star Jones as herself
- Ashley Graham as herself, who is a guest host on the show
Former child star and recovering addict Kibby is introduced as the newest co-host on The Lunch Hour . Mo makes a joke about Maxine on air and it goes viral online, angering Maxine. Nina is having trouble getting pregnant due to her husband Andrew's infertility, while having an affair with Shawn. Heather and her husband Brad clash over how to raise their transgender child. When a routine facelift sends Maxine into a coma, her co-hosts start vying for her coveted left chair. Leon blackmails Mo with a sex tape of them after she breaks up with him. Following an encounter with her scheming mother, Kibby relapses and is nearly arrested. After three days in a coma, Maxine wakes up to discover that her co-hosts—with the exception of Kibby—have been attempting to steal her chair.
Maxine makes a surprise comeback on The Lunch Hour. Kibby confronts her mother to be a better parent to her younger sister. Shawn insists that Nina leaves Andrew so they can be together, and she reveals that she is pregnant. Mo threatens to expose the real reason behind Maxine's coma, but her plan backfires when Maxine confesses on the show that she was about to undergo cosmetic surgery before her body rejected the anesthesia.
Maxine is worried when she learns that her former assistant Anna Crouse is writing a tell-all book about her. To make matters worse, Nina and Shawn's affair makes it onto "Page Six" as a blind item. Andrew tells Nina he knows she is already pregnant by another man, threatening to ruin her career if she does not stay with him until after his run for Congress. Maxine hires celebrity sober coach Julian to help Kibby keep her life on track. After finding footage of Mo and Leon having sex on Maxine's chair, Maxine fires Mo from the show.
4 "Shut It Down"
Heather is intimidated by the show's new guest co-host, lifestyle expert Portia Camden, before realizing she might be attracted to her. Kibby is tasked to make amends to her former Lacey from Outer Spacey co-star Maddie Finn on air, after previously assaulting her during filming. Since Anna refuses to stop writing her tell-all book, Maxine sabotages Anna's interview with Sia twice, getting Anna fired from her current job. Anna ultimately agrees to drop the book, on the condition that Maxine hires her as a co-host on The Lunch Hour. After learning that Andrew already knows that Shawn is the father of Nina's baby, Shawn punches Andrew at Heather's listening party and reveals to everyone that Nina is actually pregnant with his baby.
5 "Baby Daddy Drama"
The reveal of Nina and Shawn's affair causes a media feeding frenzy, prompting Maxine to hire a crisis manager to do damage control. Nina reluctantly agrees to read a statement about her predicament on the show. However, guest co-host Anna attempts to stir the pot by taking jabs at Nina's marital problems, angering Andrew and causing Nina to storm off the show. Julian encourages Kibby to take a college class, but she ends up getting expelled for making a scene in class. Maxine convinces Nina to return to the show, offering to help her take care of Andrew. In return, Nina helps Maxine take down Anna by exposing her police report for stalking her former co-worker and attacking his wife. Maxine ultimately fires Anna, who vows to resume work on her tell-all book. Nina reveals to Shawn that she took the article that earned her a Pulitzer from a missing reporter and published it under her name.
6 "We Are Family"
Julian convinces Kibby to throw a party to celebrate one year of sobriety. The show's new guest co-host, Cecile James, sets Maxine up on a blind date with a real-estate mogul. Nina and Shawn's relationship has been rocky since she told him the truth about how she won her Pulitzer. Heather finds out online that Brad is cheating on her with a younger model. Detective Stagliano visits Maxine's building and asks William questions about Maxine's deceased husband, Ted. Things go wrong at Kibby's sobriety party when she walks in on a drunken Heather trying to perform oral sex on Julian. Kibby admits to Maxine that she relapsed while Maxine was in a coma and has only been sober for 31 days. When Kibby and Julian confess their feelings for each other, he feels it is inappropriate and decides to resign. Shawn breaks up with Nina after she implies he might tell other people about her secret.
7 "Truth's a Mutha"
Heather befriends the new transgender guest co-host, Janet Mock, pelting her with questions about being transgender. A visit by William's overbearing mother threatens to expose his relationship with Maxine. Nina and Shawn argue over custody of their child. Kibby freaks out when she learns that a former Lacey from Outer Spacey co-star, Vance Gordon, is booked to appear on the show. Detective Stagliano furthers his investigation into Ted's death. Heather reveals to her co-hosts that she has a transgender daughter, while Maxine decides to make her relationship with William public on the show. After Nina is held hostage in an elevator by a crazed fan, she and Shawn decide to rekindle their relationship.
8 "And the Loser Is..."
Mo appears as a guest on The Lunch Hour's rival show Morning Talk, prompting rumors that she in talks to become a permanent co-host on the show. The network president Jason tries to convince Maxine to bring Mo back, following unsuccessful attempts to find a replacement for her. William struggles with the media scrutiny over his relationship with Maxine. Kibby has an uncomfortable run-in with Vance at the Daytime Television Awards, which causes her to relapse. Meanwhile, Heather rekindles her relationship with Brad. After The Lunch Hour surprisingly beats Morning Talk at the Daytime Television Awards, Maxine invites Mo back on the show, only to find out that Mo lied about the offer from Morning Talk. Shawn suspects that Maxine is hiding something about the night Ted died.
9 "Whose Show Is It Anyway?"
Kibby falls into a downward spiral of drug abuse after learning that her mother got her sister Tandy an audition for Vance's new sitcom. When Mo auditions for a role on Vance's sitcom, Maxine sees this as an opportunity to keep her away from The Lunch Hour. Maxine and Shawn both receive subpoenas requesting their phone records. The other co-hosts are shocked to discover that Heather carries a gun in her purse. Vance agrees to not to hire Tandy after Kibby threatens to expose him. After Maxine gets rid of the subpoenas, Nina goes to Anna, who claims to have evidence that Maxine murdered Ted. Nina uses that information to confront Maxine and demand that she tell Shawn the truth. Kibby displays erratic behavior during Vance's guest appearance on the show. To make matters worse, Tandy appears as a surprise guest to announce she will be playing Vance's daughter on his sitcom. In the backstage, Kibby takes Heather's gun and aims it at Vance. Ramona manages to tackle Kibby to the ground, but the gun accidentally goes off.
10 "Lunch Is on Us"
When Heather's gun goes off, the bullet hits Mo's new handbag and grazes Jason's buttocks. Kibby reveals to Maxine that Vance abused her and led her into drugs when she was younger. Jason forces Maxine to fire Kibby temporarily. Anna lets Nina listen to a tape of Maxine and Ted arguing the night he died, but the low quality makes it hard to identify Ted's killer. Mo decides to help Kibby by performing a stand-up routine on the show exposing Vance as a predator. However, social media erupts in defense of Vance and Mo is fired from the sitcom. Kibby responds with a live video slamming Vance, with the help of another one of his victims, Maddie, and later rejoins The Lunch Hour. After Nina steals Anna's tape and has it restored, Nina finds out that Shawn killed Ted. Maxine explains to Nina that after Ted became violent, a drunken Shawn threw him on the floor, and she asked William to help her make it look like an accident. After the incident, Shawn completely blacked out and barely recalls what happened that night. Anna eventually discovers the truth about Ted's death, using it to blackmail Maxine. In order to protect Shawn, Maxine goes on air to admit that she killed Ted in self-defense and gets arrested. Nina reveals to Anna that she stole her Pulitzer, and in exchange, Shawn must never know he was the one that killed Ted. Nevertheless, Shawn listens to the tape and learns the truth.
Format: DVD (on 2 DVDs)
Run time: 412m
B&W / Color: Color