It's Your 50th Anniversary, Charlie Brown! ~ ABC-TV ~ Holiday Special ~ Kristen Bell, Matthew Morrison, Kristin Chenoweth, Sarah McLachlan, Boyz II Men, Pentatonix, Benoit, the All-American Boys Chorus
Hosted by Kristen Bell , this television special celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of the first airing of A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965).
Background is provided on the history of Peanuts leading up to the genesis of the 1965 production, and the importance of music in it, especially what would become the iconic Peanuts theme, " Linus & Lucy ". Some of the music from the show and other subsequent Peanuts specials - which total fifty to date - are performed, with a new song composed commemorating the Charlie Brown Christmas tree sung by Matthew Morrison .
Recurring themes within Peanuts are discussed, including Charlie Brown's many sporting failures. Other aspects of popular culture in which Peanuts has made a mark are also presented, including being used as the subject of a Broadway musical and module names in the American space program. Interspersed, many celebrities offer their congratulations to the Peanuts gang for reaching this milestone.
Kristen Bell hosted the event before a live audience. Kristin Chenoweth performed " Happiness " from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown , and Matthew Morrison performed " Just Like Me ", which was originally written by David Benoit and Lee Mendelson for the 40th anniversary tribute album to the special. It also included performances by Sarah McLachlan , Boyz II Men , Pentatonix , Benoit , and the All-American Boys Chorus .
In the promos, President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama also made an appearance.
- " We're Gonna Have a Party Tonight " (originally from Snoopy's Birthday Party and also used in the opening sequence of You Don't Look 40, Charlie Brown .)
- Footage from A Boy Named Charlie Brown (documentary)
- A scene from " The Music and Heroes of America " where the Peanuts gang discuss "Linus and Lucy"
- David Benoit Trio performs " Linus and Lucy "
- A message from President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama
- Interviews with cast and crew
- Sarah McLachlan and the All-American Boys Chorus perform " Christmas Time Is Here "
- Charles Schulz and Bill Melendez accepting the Emmy for A Charlie Brown Christmas
- A montage of the scene where Charlie Brown talks to his cast in different languages
- Matthew Morrison singing " Just Like Me "
- " Dreamin' On My Doghouse " (originally from Snoopy Goes Camping )
- Boyz II Men perform a medley of " Joe Cool " and " Little Birdie "
- " What Baseball Is " (originally from Snoopy's Baseball Game)
- " The Great Pumpkin" (originally from Snoopy and the Great Pumpkin )
- An interview with Stacy Ferguson
- A segment focusing on unrequited love
- Kristin Chenoweth performs " Happiness " accompanied by Andrew Lippa
- The comic strip's influence on space travel
- Pentatonix and the All-American Boys Chorus perform " Hark! The Herald Angels Sing "
Run time: 44m
B&W / Color: Color